Reference Request Form Instructions
Use this form online only for reference requests payable by credit card (Visa, MasterCard, and American Express). If you wish to pay by check or money order ($15.00 for Alabama residents, $25.00 for non-Alabama residents), complete the form, print it, and mail it to:
Alabama Department of Archives & History
P.O. Box 300100
Montgomery, AL 36130-0100
- Limit reference requests to one surname only. Use separate forms for additional requests/surnames.
- The research fee of $15.00 for Alabama residents and $25.00 for non-residents must accompany each request. If paying by check, please include a driver’s license number on personal check. A fee of $30 may be assessed for returned checks.
- The fee includes up to 20 pages of photocopies; additional photocopies are 25¢ each. If additional photocopy charges are necessary, our staff will contact you to arrange payment.
- The fee is non-refundable, even if no information is found. However, we will mail you a report on the search and suggestions for further research.
- Fill in the following spaces as completely as possible – this information is essential for our staff’s research efforts.
- Review the types of records available at the ADAH before completing this form. We will search only four sources; if more than 4 boxes are checked, the staff will search only those 4 that might best answer your research question. If you prefer, you can contract for the services of a professional genealogist to do research for you.
Updated: July 13, 2015