Flag: 7th Georgia Infantry
Nothing is known concerning the provenance of this flag. It is an 11-star first national Confederate flag. Within the circle of stars on the obverse of the flag, the canton is inscribed "7th Regiment Geo. Vol." On the bottom red stripe are painted the letters "C.S.A." On the reverse of the flag "Manassas 21st July 1861" is painted within the circle of stars on the canton. A cotton square is sewn to the bottom corner of the staff portion on the reverse of the flag. Upon this is written "Flag made by Caro Yancey (Mrs. Hugh Harris). To be returned to Mrs. Jefferson W. Carter 314 N. Jackson St., Atlanta, Georgia."
The flag was examined on August 7, 1990 by Fonda Thomsen, Textile Preservation Associates, Inc. In her examination of the flag, she found nothing which would disprove the authenticity of the flag. However, until additional documentation can be found, some questions remain.
On February 8, 2006 at the request of Curator Robert Bradley, the Board of Trustees of the ADAH voted to deaccession this flag in order to exchange it for the flag of the Browder Roughs (Co. D, 15th Alabama Infantry) at the Atlanta History Center. The exchange was made on March 29, 2006 when the flag was picked up by Curator Glen Kyle of Georgia.
|Previous Flag||Next Flag|
Return to Flag index
To Civil War Military records
To Willis Brewer's Brief Historical Sketches of Alabama Units
To Civil War Unit History files
Return to ADAH homepage
Updated: October 26, 2006