Flag: Watts' Cadets
The Watts' Cadets were a home guard unit made up of school boys from Franklin Academy in Montgomery, Alabama. The unit was formed in late 1864 or early 1865. According to a letter written by R. H. Moore a former member of the company, they "had two flags, a small one which was presented by Miss Ella Montgomery and a larger one which was presented by Miss (Sister) Hardaway." One of the flags is presently owned by a descendant of William Henry Smith who served as flag bearer of the company. The flag in the Archives' collection was left at the store of Henry Englehart of Montgomery by an "old member of the company." It was donated to the Alabama Department of Archives and History by Mr. Englehart in 1904.
A comparison of the two flags in June 1995 revealed that the flag in the
Archives' collection is the smaller of the two. The crude and incomplete nature of
this flag suggests that it may never have seen use in the field.
|Previous Flag||Next Flag|
Return to Flag index
To Civil War Military records
To Willis Brewer's Brief Historical Sketches of Alabama Units
To Civil War Unit History files
Return to ADAH homepage
Updated: October 25, 2006