Flag: 18th Alabama Infantry
This flag, manufactured by Henry Cassidy of New Orleans, conforms to the pattern of those carried by the corps of Major
General Braxton Bragg. The date of issue is unknown, but this flag may have been
among those issued to Bragg's Corps by General P. G. T. Beauregard on March 3,
1862. The manner in which this flag fell into Federal hands is unknown however, the
loss or capture occurred sometime after June 3, 1862.1 Following its capture, the flag
was preserved by Brevet Major General Wiley Crawford. His family later deposited
it with the Military Service Institution, Governor's Island, New York. The flag was
discovered by a visitor from New Orleans who notified George P. Harrison,
Commander of the Alabama Division, United Confederate Veterans of its location.
Harrison in turn notified Dr. Thomas M. Owen, Director, Alabama Department of
Archives and History who wrote Brigadier General T. T. Rodenbaugh requesting the
return of the flag. Upon approval of the Executive Council of the Military Service
Institution, the flag was returned to the State of Alabama effective September 7, 1905.
1A rectangular linen patch attached to this flag bears battle honors for Shiloh, Farmington and Blackland. Since Reverend Edgar W. Jones mentions adding "Blackland" just under Shiloh in his January 1905 account, this patch must be contemporary to the flag. Thus, the capture or loss of the flag had to have occured after the skirmish at Blackland, Mississippi on June 3, 1862.
|Previous Flag||Next Flag|
Return to Flag index
To Civil War Military records
To Willis Brewer's Brief Historical Sketches of Alabama Units
To Civil War Unit History files
Return to ADAH homepage
Updated: October 25, 2006