Flag: 8th Alabama Infantry
This flag is an Army of Northern Virginia, 1st wool bunting issue. Flags of this pattern were first issued in May and June 1862. The flag of the 8th Alabama Infantry was captured on June 30, 1862 at the Battle of Willis' Church (Frayser's Farm, New Market Roads, etc.) by Isaac Springer, Co. K, 4th Regiment Pennsylvania Reserve Volunteer Corps. The flag was forwarded to the U.S. War Department where it was assigned Capture Number 42. It was returned to the State of Alabama effective March 25, 1905.
At the time the flag was captured, and in subsequent War Department records, this flag was incorrectly identified as being that of the 11th Alabama Infantry. This flag bears an appliqued battle honor for Williamsburg. The 11th Alabama Infantry was not engaged at this battle; however, the 8th Alabama Infantry was at the Battle of Williamsburg and Willis' Church (Frayser's Farm). At Willis' Church, both the 8th and 11th Alabama were engaged against the 4th and 11th Pennsylvania Reserves. The 11th Alabama Infantry flag was captured by the 11th Pennsylvania Reserves and is now in the collections of the Museum of the Confederacy, Richmond, Virginia. The flag captured by the 4th Reserves was the flag of the 8th Alabama Infantry.
Consulted authorities who have independently arrived at the same conclusion
include Rebecca Rose, Curator Museum of the Confederacy and H. M. Madaus,
author of The Battle Flags of the Confederate Army of Tennessee.
|Previous Flag||Next Flag|
Return to Flag index
To Civil War Military records
To Willis Brewer's Brief Historical Sketches of Alabama Units
To Civil War Unit History files
Return to ADAH homepage
Updated: October 25, 2006