The Seventh organized at Pensacola, May 18, 1861, with eight infantry and two mounted companies. It was composed of twelve months' men, of companies that rendezvoused at that place. It remained on duty there till November, when it was ordered to Chattanooga, and a month later to Bowling Green. It was in a temporary brigade under Col. S.A.M. Wood, and fell back with the army to Corinth. The time of service of most of the companies expired the first week in April 1862, and it disbanded, though the company from Montgomery and Autauga, and other men of the regiment, fought at Shiloh. The mass of the men went at once into other organizations, and rendered efficient service therein.
Colonel - Sterling A.M. Wood of Lauderdale; promoted.
Lieutenant Colonel - John G. Coltart of Madison.
Major - A.A. Russell of Jackson.
Adjutant - Simeon Dean of Chambers; promoted. S.A. McClung of Madison; transferred to Gen. Wood's staff.
Chambers - James M. Jackson; resigned. Flavius J. Graham.
Calhoun - Robert W. Draper.
Cherokee - William H. Clare.
Madison - Oliver B. Gaston.
Barbour - P. Bludworth.
Butler and Pike - William T. McCall.
Jackson - J.B. Ragsdale; resigned. Flavius J. Graham.
Wilcox and Dallas - Thomas G. Jenkins. (Mounted.)
Montgomery and Autauga - Jesse J. Cox. (Mounted.)
Lauderdale - William H. Price.