Flag: 10th Alabama Infantry
Catalogue No. 2001.117.1
(PN17237-17238)

Order a copy print

Provenance Reconstruction:

This flag is a second wool bunting issue Army of Northern Virginia battle flag. It was manufactured at the Richmond Clothing Depot in June 1862. The flag was captured by Private William John Gallagher of the 9th Regiment Pennsylvania Volunteer Reserve Corps on June 30, 1862 at the Battle of New Market Road, Virginia (Frayserís Farm, Willis' Church, etc.). Following its capture, the flag was forwarded to the U. S. War Department where it was assigned and inscribed with Capture Number 72.

On December 30, 1863 the flag, along with that of the 44th Alabama Infantry (2001.118.1), was loaned to the 61st New York Volunteer Infantry by order of Secretary of War, Edwin M. Stanton. From February 22 to March 5, 1864, the flag was displayed at the U. S. Sanitary Commission Fair in Albany, New York. Following the fair, the flag was not returned to the War Department and somehow ended up in private hands. Apparently both this flag and that of the 44th Alabama Infantry were eventually acquired by Captain Joseph Brinton who had served with an Indiana regiment during the war.

The flags were cared for by several generations of Captain Brintonís family. In 1999 the flag of the 44th Alabama Infantry was located in Edgecomb, Maine. It was owned by Thomas Blackford, Brintonís great-great-grandson. Blackford had received the flag from his grandmother, Mrs. Edith Litchfield Denny of Litchfield, Arizona. In September 1999 Howard Madaus, the acknowledged expert on Confederate flags, examined Mr. Blackfordís flag. Later, in January 2000, Madaus contacted Mrs. Denny and discovered that she too had a flag, which he identified as that of the 10th Alabama Infantry. When the family discovered that the flags were from Alabama regiments, they immediately began efforts to have them returned. Though diagnosed with pancreatic cancer, Mrs Denny, long known for her philanthropic activities, continued efforts to see that the flag of the 10th Alabama Infantry would return to Alabama. The donation became effective on September 6, 2000. Mrs. Denny passed away at the age of 90 on January 23, 2001. On March 24, 2001, both the flag of the 10th and the 44th Alabama Infantry regiments were presented to the Alabama Department of Archives and History by Mr. Thomas Blackford.





Sources:
       Curator's Object Files, Civil War Flags, Alabama Department of Archives and History.
      Flags of the Confederacy www.confederateflags.org

      Rollins, Richard ed. The Returned Battleflags, 1995.

      U.S. War Department. War of the Rebellion: A Compilation of the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies. Government Printing Office, 1880-1901.

Previous FlagNext Flag

Return to Flag index
To Civil War Military records
To Willis Brewer's Brief Historical Sketches of Alabama Units
To Civil War Unit History files
Return to ADAH homepage


http://www.archives.alabama.gov/referenc/flags/120125.html
Updated: October 26, 2006