Flag: Auxiliary Flag of the C.S.S. Alabama
According to tradition, this flag was salvaged from the flotsam of the C.S.S.
Alabama following the sinking of that vessel off Cherbourg, France, June 19,
1864. It was discovered in a Paris upholstery shop in 1884 by DeCost Smith, an
American from New England. Mr. Smith purchased the flag for 15 francs.
Clement Sawtell of Lincoln Square, Massachusetts inherited the flag from DeCost
Smith who was his uncle. At the suggestion of retired Rear Admiral Beverly M.
Coleman, Mr. Sawtell donated the flag to the State of Alabama on June 3, 1975.
Madaus, Howard Michael. "Rebel Flags Afloat , a Survey of the Surviving Flags of the Confederate States Navy, Revenue Service and Merchant Marine." The Flag Bulletin. No.115, Vol.25, Nos.1-2, (January-April, 1986), pp.21-22.
|Previous Flag||Next Flag|
Return to Flag index
To Civil War Military records
To Willis Brewer's Brief Historical Sketches of Alabama Units
To Civil War Unit History files
Return to ADAH homepage
Updated: October 25, 2006