Flag: 38th Alabama Infantry
Catalogue No. 86.1874.1
This flag conforms to the pattern of those issued to the corps of Major
General William J. Hardee, Army of the Mississippi/Army of Tennessee. The date and place of manufacture are unknown. The flag was captured on November 25, 1863 during the
Battle of Missionary Ridge by the 2nd Ohio Volunteer Infantry, Colonel H. G.
McCook commanding. The flag was eventually forwarded to the U.S. War
Department where it was assigned Capture Number 91. The flag and its staff were returned to the State
of Alabama effective March 25, 1905. While a portion of the broken staff remained in the pole sleeve of the flag, the remainder had become separated. In July, 1998, the missing portion of the staff was located and positively identified.
|Previous Flag||Next Flag|
Return to Flag index
To Civil War Military records
To Willis Brewer's Brief Historical Sketches of Alabama Units
To Civil War Unit History files
Return to ADAH homepage
Updated: Updated: October 25, 2006