Flag: 20th Alabama Infantry
Catalogue No. 86.1870.1
(PN10155,10159)

Order a copy print

Provenance Reconstruction:

This flag was carried by the 20th Alabama Infantry, Pettus' Brigade, Stevenson's Division during 1864-1865. The date of issue is unknown, however, its use will postdate December 1863 when Joseph E. Johnston assumed command of the Army of Tennessee. Johnston had new battle flags of this pattern issued beginning in the early spring, 1864. Following the surrender of the regiment at Salisbury, North Carolina the flag bearer, J. H. Redding, hid the flag under his clothing and subsequently, gave it to his Colonel, J. M. Dedman. Dedman preserved the flag after the war and upon his death, ownership passed to his son, Joseph Marcus Dedman. On February 14, 1905, the Alabama Department of Archives and History borrowed the flag from Dedman who at that time resided in Columbia, Tennessee. On November 17, 1905, the flag was returned to him. On March 18, 1943, Dr. James Edward Dedman of Betterton, Maryland donated the flag to the Department.



Sources:
       Curator's Object Files, Civil War Flags, Alabama Department of Archives and History.
       Madaus, Howard Michael. The Battle Flags of the Confederate Army of Tennessee. Milwaukee, Wisconsin, 1976.

Previous FlagNext Flag

Return to Flag index
To Civil War Military records
To Willis Brewer's Brief Historical Sketches of Alabama Units
To Civil War Unit History files
Return to ADAH homepage


http://www.archives.alabama.gov/referenc/flags/038.html
Updated: October 25, 2006