Flag: 18th Alabama Infantry
Flags of this pattern were manufactured in Mobile, Alabama, and issued within the Department of Alabama, Mississippi and East Louisiana1. The 18th Alabama Infantry lost its Hardee pattern flag at Missionary Ridge on November 25, 1863. This flag was issued to the regiment sometime after the Battle of Rocky Face Ridge, (February 25,1864) which is the last battle honor listed on the flag. The flag of the 38th Alabama Infantry issued at the same time was captured at the Battle of Resaca, Georgia on May 25, 1864. This flag may have been captured during the same engagement. A letter dated May 21, 1864 written by Pvt. William Wallace of the 3rd Wisconsin Infantry, mentions the capture of a flag by his brigade. The 3rd Wisconsin served opposite the 18th Alabama Infantry.
The flag was eventually acquired by Captain John C. Delany, 107th Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry. On August 30, 1915 Nelson Wilson, a Washington attorney acting for C. H. Delany (son of Captain Delany) offered the flag for sale. The Alabama Department of Archives and History purchased the flag for the sum of $40.00 on January 6, 1917.
This flag is one of four nearly identical flags in the Department's collection which
were carried by regiments within the brigade of Brigadier General H. D. Clayton at the
Battle of Resaca, Georgia.
1Flags of this pattern were manufactured by James A. Cameron and Jackson Ogden Belknap.
|Previous Flag||Next Flag|
Return to Flag index
To Civil War Military records
To Willis Brewer's Brief Historical Sketches of Alabama Units
To Civil War Unit History files
Return to ADAH homepage
Updated: October 25, 2006