About the Government Records Division
As the support staff for the State and Local Government Records Commissions, the Government Records Division of the Alabama Department of Archives and History (ADAH) serves as the contact for government officials seeking assistance with policies, standards, and procedures related to public records.
The division staff provides the following services:
- Assistance in the identification and determination of retention periods for the records created by state and local agencies.
- Technical advice and assistance through on-site visits, workshops, and publications on records and information management issues such as: records preservation, files management, micrographics, audio-visual records, digital imaging, and electronic records.
- Advice on facilities available for low cost storage and retrieval of temporary records, including use of the State Records Center by state agencies.
- Advice on the proper storage of historically valuable local records.
- Assistance with records retention implementation through workshops and on-site visits.
Other division activities include preserving over 30,000 cubic feet of historically valuable state and local government records at the Department of Archives and History.