William Hansell Hulsey
The following biographical sketch was compiled at the time of induction into the Academy in 1980.
William Hansell Hulsey, banker, investor, civic and cultural leader in Birmingham, was born May 2, 1901 at Carbon Hill Alabama, the son of John Balus and Gabriella Celestia (Hansell) Hulsey. He was educated in the Carbon Hill public schools and in World War II served as a Major in the United States Air Force.
At the time of his induction into the Academy of Honor, Mr. Hulsey was serving as chairman of the Board and Treasurer of Garber, Cook, and Hulsey, investment bankers, chairman of the Board of Computer Services Corporation and of Beaver Construction Company, of Ingalls Iron Works Company and Ingalls Shipbuilding Corporation, and southern Carpet. He was presently a director of Allied Products Company and of Molton, Allen, and Williams, Incorporated. He was formerly a director of Southern Bancorporation, of Master Packaging and Equipment Company, and of the Bank for Savings and Trusts from 1946 until it merged with the Birmingham Trust National Bank. At that time, he served with the latter, being on its executive committee from 1962 until 1978.
From 1963 to 1965, Mr. Hulsey was a director of the Industrial Water Board of Birmingham. Mr. Hulsey was an active member of the Episcopal Church of the Advent and on its Vestry, was on the Board of Trustees of Birmingham-Southern College since 1962, was a member of the Board of Trustees of the Eye foundation Hospital, which he helped to organize, was on the Board and a member of the Executive Committee of the Young Women's Christian Association and in 1948 was chairman of its Capital Funds Drive, served on the Board of directors of the Jefferson County Community Chest and was chairman of its campaign for 1956, Mr. Hulsey was a member of the Board of Trustees and a former vice president of the Birmingham Symphony Association, was vice president and chairman of the Fund Raising Drive of the Birmingham Museum of Art Foundation when it was formed and was currently a director of the Foundation. He was vice chairman of the Board of Trustees of the Birmingham Art Museum and was particularly active in his support, having donated to it many impressive works; the auditorium of the Museum was named for Mrs. Hulsey in appreciation of a contribution to build it. It is interesting to note that he was a avid art collector, his private collection including a Degas and a Gainsborough. In 1965, there was published "The Hulsey Collection," an art collection portfolio. A gift to the University of Alabama in Birmingham made possible the construction of a fine arts center.
Since 1964, Mr. Hulsey was listed in Who's Who in America as an investment executive and art collector. In 1979, he received an honorary Doctor of Humanities degree from the University of Alabama in Birmingham.
He was a member of the Newcomen Society of America, the Birmingham Country Club, The Club, Birmingham Rotary Club, Mountain Brook Country Club, The Relay House, The Downtown Club, and Shoal Creek Club.
On July 21, 1934, William Hansell Hulsey and Susan Mabry were married. He is now deceased.