Seybourn Harris Lynne
The following biographical sketch was compiled at the time of induction into the Academy in 1978.
Seybourn Harris Lynne, Decatur, Alabama, native and Senior Judge, United States District Court, Northern District of Alabama, was born July 25,1907, son of Seybourn Arthur Lynne and Annie Leigh (Harris) Lynne.
Judge Lynne received his early education in private and public schools in Decatur, and graduated form the Alabama Polytechnic Institute at Auburn with highest distinction and a bachelor of science degree in 1927. He studied law at the University of Alabama and received his bachelor of laws degree in 1930. During the time he was a law student, Lynne was track coach, assistant football coach, and a member of the "A" Club. Upon his graduation in June, 1930, he entered his father's law firm and continued in that practice until 1934.
From 1934 to 1940, he served as judge of the Morgan County Court; from 1940 to 1941, he served as judge of the Eighth Judicial Circuit of Alabama.
With the outbreak of World War II, Lynne resigned from that position in order to volunteer for military service in December of 1942. After graduating from Judge Advocate General's School he served as Assistant Service Command Judge Advocate, Army Headquarters, Fourth Service Command (Atlanta), March 1943 to March 1945, and in Hawaii from May to November of 1945. He was awarded the Bronze Star Medal in October 1945, and was promoted to the rank of lieutenant colonel. In November of 1945 he was relieved from active duty.
In the post-war year 1946, President Harry Truman appointed Seybourn Lynne Judge of the United States District Court for the Northern District of Alabama. In 1953 he became Chief Judge, and a member of the Committee on Bankruptcy Administration of the Judicial Conference of the United States.
Judge Lynne resided in Birmingham and played an active part in the life of his community. He served as governor of Alabama District of Kiwanis, 1938; member of the Advisory Committee, Meyer Foundation; trustee, Eye Foundation Hospital in Birmingham; trustee, Crippled Children's Clinic, Birmingham; member, Quarterback Club of Birmingham; and served as president, University of Alabama Law School Alumni Association,1967 to 1968.
He was an active member of the Baptist Church, a Life Deacon, teacher of the Men's Bible Class, and a trustee of Southside Baptist Church, Birmingham.
During his university years, Seybourn Lynne was affiliated with the following social and professional organizations: Pi Kappa Alpha; Phi Kappa Phi; Phi Delta Phi; Omicron Delta Kappa; Alpha Phi Epsilon; Blue Key; Scabbard and Blade; and Farrah Law Society. In addition, he was a member of the American Bar Association, Alabama State Bar Association, and Birmingham Bar Association.
As evidence of the high esteem in which he wass held in his profession, he has received the following awards: Outstanding University of Alabama Alumnus of Jefferson County award, 1970; Dean's Award, University of Alabama, for Outstanding Service to the Bar and to the State of Alabama, 1972; Honorary Doctor of Laws Degree, University of Alabama, 1973; Certificate of Appreciation for outstanding contributions to Law Day Observance, May 1975, Cumberland School of Law in Birmingham. In tribute to Judge Lynne, the Seybourn H. Lynne Scholarship Fund, University of Alabama School of Law, was set up by twenty former Law Clerks,1976.
Judge Lynne married Katherine Donaldson Brandau of Knoxville, Tennessee, June 16, 1937, and they had one daughter, Katherine Roberta Lynne.
Seybourn H. Lynne died on September 10, 2000.