Joseph Sam Bruno
The following biographical sketch was compiled at the time of induction into the Academy in 1977, 2002, and 2006.
John A. Caddell, lawyer, was born in Tuscumbia April 23, 1910. In 1915 he moved to Decatur and attended schools there graduating from Decatur High School in 1927. He attended the University of Alabama earning his A.B. degree in 1931 and his LL.B. in 1933. His activities at the University included membership on the Executive Committee of the Student Government Association, the Cotillion Club Committee, manager of the varsity track team, and the A club.
Mr. Caddell practiced law in Decatur since June 1, 1933, and was the senior partner of the law firm of Caddell, Shanks, Harris, Moores, and Murphree. He was a member of the Morgan County Bar Association, Alabama Bar Association, and the American Bar Association; he was president of the Alabama Bar Association 1951-1952. He also served on the Board of Commissioners of the Alabama State Bar 1939-1954, and as a member of the Board of Bar Examiners of State of Alabama 1950-1953. He was a fellow, American College of Trial Lawyers; fellow, American College of Probate Counsel; and Board of Commissioners, Judicial Council of Alabama, 1946-1950.
In addition, he was a former member and chairman of the board of directors of the First National Bank of Decatur (now AmSouth Bank), a former member and president pro tempore of the Board of Trustees of the University of Alabama.
Mr. Caddell was a member of Pi Kappa Alpha, Omicron Delta Kappa, Phi Delta Phi, and the Decatur Kiwanis Club, of which he served as president in 1939; and the Decatur Chamber of Commerce, president 1944 and 1945. He was also a member of the First Presbyterian Church of Decatur and was an active elder and former deacon. He served on the Democratic Executive Committee from 1938-1950.
He was married to the former Lucy Harris of Tuscaloosa and they have four children: Thomas A., Lucinda, Henry H., and John A., Jr.
John A. Caddell died on February 7, 2006.