R. Hugh Daniel
The following biographical sketch was compiled at the time of induction into the Academy in 1976.
R. Hugh Daniel was the head of the Daniel International Corporation, which has offices in Europe and throughout the United States.
A native of Anderson, South Carolina, Mr. Daniel was born in 1906 and was graduated from the Citadel with a B.A. degree in 1929. In 1934 he and his brother Charles moved to Birmingham and established the Daniel Corporation, which ranks today as one of the largest construction operations in the world. As its chief executive officer and treasurer, Mr. Daniel presided over a firm whose employees number more than 40,000 and whose revenues for the 1975 fiscal year exceeded 950 million dollars. The offices of the Daniel International Corporation dot the map from Kansas City to Dublin.
In addition to directing the activities of this far-flung organization, Mr. Daniel served as the chairman of the board of directors of the Central Bank of Birmingham. He was also a member of the board of Central Banchares, Inc., its holding company. Since its establishment in 1964, Central Bank has pioneered in developing statewide operations and introduced invocation that made banking more convenient for its customers. With Mr. Daniel at the helm, it also grew during its short life into one of the most important banks in the states.
Despite the press of his business obligations, Mr. Daniel found time to work for a variety of civic and community organizations as well. He served as a trustee of the Birmingham Symphony Association and as a member of the advisory board of the Birmingham Salvation Army. For two terms he was the president of the Alabama chapter of the Associated General Contractors of America. And from 1954 to 1955 he served as the appeals chairman of the Jefferson County United Appeal.
At the time of his induction into the Academy he was a director of the Birmingham Museum of Art and the Baptist Hospitals Foundation. He was also a member of the boards of trustees of the Daniel Foundation, the Southern Research Institute, and Birmingham Southern College. Other businesses on whose boards of directors he sits are the Alabama Gas Company, the Delwood Furniture Company, and the Florida National Banks of Florida, Inc. The awards he received include two honorary degrees--a doctor of science, which his alma mater gave him in 1957, and another, which Piedmont College gave him in 1965.
For many years Mr. Daniel was active in the work of the Kiwanis Club of Birmingham, the Birmingham Chamber of Commerce, and the Canterbury Methodist Church. He was also a member of the Birmingham Country Club, the Mountain Brook Club, the Relay House, and the Chi Psi fraternity.
In 1936 he was married to the former Martha Stone Cobb of Vernon, Alabama; they had two sons and two granddaughters. Mr. Daniel is now deceased.