Alabama Counties: Morgan County
Click on the map to get a detailed image of the county
Provided by Alabama Maps
Morgan County was created by the Alabama Territorial legislature on 1818 Feb. 8, from land acquired from the Cherokee Indians by the Treaty of Turkeytown. The county was originally named Cotaco for a creek that flows through it. On June 14, 1821, the name was changed to Morgan in honor of Gen. Daniel Morgan (Virginia), a hero of the American Revolution. Morgan County lies in the northern section of the state, on the Tennessee River. It is bordered by Limestone, Madison, Marshall, Cullman, Winston, and Lawrence counties. Morgan County encompasses 575 square miles. The county seat was at Somerville from 1818 until 1891. Then it was transferred to Decatur, named after Stephen E. Decatur, hero of the 1804 Battle of Tripoli. Courthouse fires occurred in 1926 and 1938. Other towns and communities include Hartselle, Falkville, Priceville, Valhermoso Springs and Eva.
Decatur Daily online
Owen, Thomas McAdory. History of Alabama and Dictionary of Alabama Biography. Chicago: S. J. Clarke Publishing Co., 1921.
Updated: December 14, 2011