Alabama Counties: Monroe County
Click on the map to get a detailed image of the county
Provided by Alabama Maps
Monroe County was created by the Mississippi Territorial Governor David Holmes on 1815 June 29. It comprised all the Creek Indian lands ceded by the Treaty of Fort Jackson. It was reduced in size by the creation of the Alabama counties of Montgomery, Conecuh and Wilcox. It was named for U.S. President James Monroe.
Monroe County is located in the southwestern area of the state, in the Piney Woods region. It encompasses 1,019 square miles. The first county seat was established at Fort Clairborne; it was moved to Monroeville in 1832. Other towns include Beatrice, Peterman and Frisco City.
Owen, Thomas McAdory. History of Alabama and Dictionary of Alabama Biography. Chicago: S. J. Clarke Publishing Co., 1921.
Updated: February 6, 2014