Alabama Counties: Jackson County
Click on the map to get a detailed image of the county
Provided by Alabama Maps
Jackson County was created by the Alabama legislature on 1819 Dec. 13, from land acquired from the Cherokee Indians. The county was named in honor of Gen. Andrew Jackson. Jackson County is located in the northeastern corner of the state. It is bounded on the north by Tennessee, on the east by Georgia and DeKalb County, on the south by DeKalb and Marshall counties, and on the west by Madison County. It encompasses 1,069 square miles. Most of the county is drained by the Tennessee River. The act establishing Jackson County designated Sauta Cave as a temporary seat of justice. Bellefonte was the county seat from 1821 until 1859, at which time it was transferred to Scottsboro, which was named for Robert T. Scott, an early settler from North Carolina. Other towns and communities include Bridgeport and Stevenson.
Owen, Thomas McAdory. History of Alabama and Dictionary of Alabama Biography. Chicago: S. J. Clarke Publishing Co., 1921.
Return to Alabama Counties
Return to Alabama History On-Line
Updated: November 20, 2009