Alabama Counties: Greene County
Click on the map to get a detailed image of the county
Provided by Alabama Maps
Greene County was created by the first state legislature on 1819 Dec. 13, from part of the land ceded to the Federal government by the Choctaw Cession of 1816 Oct. 24. It bears the name of Gen. Nathaniel Greene (Georgia), a hero of the American Revolution. Greene County is located in the west-central portion of the state, between the Tombigbee and Black Warrior Rivers. It is bordered by Pickens, Tuscaloosa, Hale, Marengo, and Sumter counties. It encompasses 631 square miles. The first county seat was located at Erie, now in Hale County. In 1838, the county seat was transferred to Eutaw. A fire occurred at the courthouse in 1868. Other towns and communities include Clinton and Boligee.
Owen, Thomas McAdory. History of Alabama and Dictionary of Alabama Biography. Chicago: S. J. Clarke Publishing Co., 1921.
Updated: November 20, 2009