Alabama Counties: Geneva County
Click on the map to get a detailed image of the county
Provided by Alabama Maps
Geneva County was created by the Alabama legislature on 1868 Dec. 26. The county was named for Geneva, its principal town and county seat. The town of Geneva was named for Geneva, Switzerland, by Walter H. Youge, a native of Switzerland, who served as the town's first postmaster. Geneva County is located in southeastern Alabama and is drained by the Choctawhatchee River. It is bordered by Coffee, Covington, Dale, and Houston counties and the State of Florida. It encmpasses 578 square miles. Other towns and communities include Samson and Hartford.
Owen, Thomas McAdory. History of Alabama and Dictionary of Alabama Biography. Chicago: S. J. Clarke Publishing Co., 1921.
Return to Alabama Counties
Return to Alabama History On-Line
Updated: February 6, 2014