Alabama Counties: Franklin County
Click on the map to get a detailed image of the county
Provided by Alabama Maps
Franklin County was created by the Alabama Territorial legislature on 1818 Feb. 6. It was named in honor of Benjamin Franklin. It is situated in the northwestern part of the state, and is bordered by Colbert, Lawrence, Winston, and Marion counties in Alabama, and by Tishomingo and Itawamba counties, Mississippi. It currently encompasses 643 square miles. The county seat was originally located at Russellville, named after William Russell, an early settler and chief scout for Gen. Andrew Jackson during the Creek Indian War of 1813-14. In 1849, the county seat was transferred to Frankfort, where it remained until 1879 when it was moved to Belgreen. A courthouse fire in 1890 probably accounted for the relocation of the county seat to Russellville in 1891. Other towns and communities include Red Bay, Phil Campbell and Vina.
Owen, Thomas McAdory. History of Alabama and Dictionary of Alabama Biography. Chicago: S. J. Clarke Publishing Co., 1921.
Return to Alabama Counties
Return to Alabama History On-Line
Updated: February 6, 2014