Alabama Counties: Covington County
Click-on the map to get a detailed image of the county
Provided by Alabama Maps
Covington County was created on 1821 Dec. 7. Its boundaries were rearranged in 1824, 1841 and 1868. It was named for Brig. Gen. Leonard Wailes Covington, a soldier in the War of 1812 (Maryland). In 1868 Aug., the name was changed to Jones County, though the original name was restored in 1868 Oct. The county is located in the south-central part of the state, bordering Florida on the South. It presently comprises 1,038 square miles.
The county seat was first established at Montezuma, later named Covington. The current county seat is at Andalusia. Other towns include Opp, Red Level, and Florala. The southwestern portion of the county contains the Conecuh National Forest.
Andalusia Star News online
Owen, Thomas McAdory. History of Alabama and Dictionary of Alabama Biography. Chicago: S. J. Clarke Publishing Co., 1921.
Updated: November 15, 2016