Alabama Counties: Cleburne County
Click-on the map to get a detailed image of the county
Provided by Alabama Maps
Cleburne County is located in the northeastern part of the State of Alabama. It was created by an act of the Alabama Legislature on 1866 Dec. 6, from territory formerly contained in Calhoun, Randolph and Talladega Counties. The county currently comprises 561 square miles. The county was named for Patrick Ronayne Cleburne, a Confederate Major General. The county seat was established at Edwardsville in 1867, and moved to Heflin in 1906. Other towns of note include Fruithurst. A large area in the western portion of the county is part of the Talladega National Forest.
Owen, Thomas McAdory. History of Alabama and Dictionary of Alabama Biography. Chicago: S. J. Clarke Publishing Co., 1921.
Updated: February 6, 2014