Alabama Counties: Clarke County
Click-on the map to get a detailed image of the county
Provided by Alabama Maps
The Mississippi territorial legislature created Clarke County on 1812 Dec. 10. It was named for Gen. John Clarke of Georgia. A county seat was not established until 1820, when it was located at Clarksville. In 1831 the seat of government was moved to Grove Hill (previously known as Magoffin's Store, Smithville and Macon).
Clarke County is located in the southwestern portion of the state at the juncture of the Alabama and Tombigbee rivers. It encompasses 1,230 square miles. The county is a center of the state's timber industry. Notable towns include Thomasville, Grove Hill and Jackson.
Clarke County Democrat online
Owen, Thomas McAdory. History of Alabama and Dictionary of Alabama Biography. Chicago: S. J. Clarke Publishing Co., 1921.
Updated: February 6, 2014