Alabama Counties: Chambers County
Click-on the map to get a detailed image of the county
Provided by Alabama Maps
Chambers County was created by an act of the Alabama General Assembly on 1832 Dec. 18, from former Creek Indian territory. It is located in the east-central portion of the state, and is bounded on the east by the Chattahoochee River. Chambers County encompasses 596 square miles.
The county is named for Henry Chambers, a U.S. Senator from Alabama (1825-26). The location of the county seat was selected in 1833 and the town of LaFayette was built specifically for that purpose. The county became a center of the state's textile industry in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. Other towns of note include Valley and Lanett.
Owen, Thomas McAdory. History of Alabama and Dictionary of Alabama Biography. Chicago: S. J. Clarke Publishing Co., 1921.
Updated: November 19, 2009