Alabama Counties: Calhoun County
Click-on the map to get a detailed image of the county
Provided by Alabama Maps
Calhoun County, Ala., was created on 1832 Dec. 18 from ceded Creek Indian Territory. It was originally named Benton County in honor of Thomas Hart Benton. The county seat was established in Jacksonville in 1833. On January 29, 1858, the name was changed to Calhoun County in honor of John C. Calhoun (South Carolina). The county seat was moved to Anniston in 1899.
Calhoun County is located in the northeastern section of the state, in the Appalachian Mountain chain. It encompasses 611 square miles. The Coosa River flows along the western boundary of the county. Notable towns include Anniston, Jacksonville, Piedmont, and Oxford.
The Anniston Star online
The Jacksonville News online
Owen, Thomas McAdory. History of Alabama and Dictionary of Alabama Biography. Chicago: S.J. Clarke Publishing Co., 1921.
|Search for Calhoun County newspapers on microfilm|
Updated: November 19, 2009