Alabama Counties: Baldwin County
Click-on the map to get a detailed image of the county
Provided by Alabama Maps
Baldwin County was created by the Mississippi Territorial legislature on 1809 Dec. 21, from territory taken from Washington County. Its size was altered several times before 1868, when it received its present dimensions. Baldwin County lies in the southwestern part of the state. It is bounded on the north by Clarke and Monroe Counties, on the east by Escambia County, AL, and Escambia County, FL, on the west by Clarke, Washington, and Mobile counties, and Mobile Bay, and on the south by the Gulf of Mexico. Baldwin County encompasses 1,590 square miles. It was named for Abraham Baldwin, a distinguished citizen of Georgia. MacIntosh Bluff, Blakeley, and Daphne each served for a time as county seat before 1901, when Bay Minette was so designated.
Other towns and communities include: Bon Secour, Elberta, Fairhope, Foley, Lillian, Loxley, Perdido Beach, Point Clear, Robertsdale, Summerdale, Orange Beach and Gulf Shores.
Owen, Thomas McAdory. History of Alabama and Dictionary of Alabama Biography. Chicago: S. J. Clarke Publishing Co., 1921.
Updated: February 6, 2014