Alabama Commissioners of Agriculture and IndustriesJoseph Absalom Wilkinson: 1915-1919
Of Autaugaville, was born Oct. 23, 1851, near that place, and was the son of Joseph Brady Wilkinson, a native of Maryville, Tenn., and wife Elizabeth Ann, daughter of James and Mary (Stone) Nicholson, who lived near Prattville, and later at Tuskegee. The parents of Joseph Brady Wilkinson were English and Scotch. He came to this State in 1836, merchandised at Old Vernon on the Alabama River and removed to Autaugaville as one of its founders in 1844. James Nicholson was an early Alabama pioneer, and the son of Harrison Nicholson, a Revolutionary soldier, buried in Tuskegee, Ala. See Transactions Alabama Historical Society, Vol. iv, p. 557.
Joseph A. Wilkinson was educated in the schools in Autaugaville and vicinity, and entered Emory and Henry College, Va., but was not graduated. He was in the mercantile business for ten years at Selma, but left it to engage in farming in Autauga County. He was a Democrat and a Knight of Pythias. He was a member of the M. E. Church, South, for many years, an officer in his local church for twenty-five years, county superintendent of the Union Sunday school, and also a local Sunday school superintendent; and was a delegate to both the annual and general conferences of his church. While in Selma he was a member of the city council, 1886-1892, and took a leading part in the financial rescue of the city from the debt left by the radical government. Mr. Wilkinson was married three times: (1) to Medora, daughter of Dr. C. M. Howard; (2) to Nellie, daughter of Judge P. G. Wood; and (3) to Rebecca, daughter of Dr. C. C. Howard.
Alabama Department of Archives and History, Official and Statistical Register, 1907, 17.