Jesse Malcolm Carmichael
State Auditor: 1880-1884, 1905-1907
Jesse Malcolm Carmichael, State Auditor, judge third judicial district, lawyer and planter, was born October 29, 1837, in Macon County, Ga., and died October 26, 1908, in Ozark; son of Daniel and Martha A. (Coleman) Carmichael, the former removed with his parents to Georgia, and later, when a man of family, he located at Sylvan Grove, Dale County, where he engaged in farming, and was elected in 1857, probate judge of that county, being successively re-elected three times, the latter a native of South Carolina; grandson of Malcolm and Nancy (McDuffie) Carmichael, the former a soldier in the War of 1812, whose father immigrated to Robeson County, N. C., just prior to the Revolutionary War, being one of a Scotch colony who sought opportunity in the New World, and at the outbreak of hostilities took part in the struggle for freedom from the mother country, and of Jesse and Charlotte (Jordan) Coleman, of Abbeville District, S. C., who early removed to Pickens County.
Judge Carmichael came to Alabama with his parents when five years of age and had the limited educational advantages afforded in a pioneer country.
He enlisted in Co. E, 15th Alabama Infantry Regiment and was mustered into the service of the C. S. Army, April 1861, James C. Canty, colonel. Among the famous battles in which he fought was the bloody field of Antietam, September 17, 1862, where he was so badly wounded it was found necessary to amputate his hand. Disabled for further military service he returned home and lent his protection to the community, then over-run with law-breakers, as one of the home guards.
He engaged in farming during this period and for a few years following, but having ambition to become a lawyer he entered the office of Judge A. L. Milligan to prepare himself for that profession. In March, 1866, he entered upon the practice at Newton in partnership with W. D. Wood. He was elected representative in the General Assembly in 1870, and State Senator, 1872; appointed probate judge of Dale County 1878; elected for the second district, 1884; elected judge of the third circuit, 1886. In 1901 he was appointed head of the Board of Convict Inspectors and became a trustee of the Alabama Polytechnic Institute. He accumulated a comfortable estate, including a large acreage of fertile land. He was at one time editor of the Southern Star, published at Ozark.
Married: (1) to Amanda J., daughter of Wesley and Marguerite (Lollers) Smith, of Barbour County; (2) to Emma, daughter of W. F. and Elizabeth (Donaldson) Beard, natives repectively of Jones County Ga., and Barnwell District, S. C. Children: by first wife, 1. Lillie, m. W. H. Simons; 2. Archibald Hill, m. Annie Sugg; 3. Charles D., m. Fannie Bowen; 4. Pauline, m. A. T. Barders; by second wife, 5. Malcom and three other children who died young. Last residence: Ozark.
Alabama Department of Archives and History, Official and Statistical Register, 1913, 17-18.