Hugh Davis Merrill
Lieutenant Governor: 1931-1935
Hugh Davis Merrill, of Anniston, was born December 20, 1877, at Franklin, Heard County, Ga. He was the son of James Benjamin and Mary Elizabeth (Faver) Merrill, of Carrollton, Ga., the former served as a Captain in John B. Wilcoxon's battalion Phillip's Legion, C.S. Army, and removed to Edwardsville, Ala., 1886, where he practiced law; grandson of Joseph Benjamin and Susan (Lamberth) Merrill, of Tallapoosa County, and of Sanders and Caroline Raver, of Heard County, Ga.
Mr. Merrill was educated in the public schools of Franklin, Ga., and Edwardsville, Ala., graduated from Oxford College, A.B., 1897, and from the Law Department, University of Alabama, 1898. After leaving the University he began the practice of law at Edwardsville with his father, removed to Anniston in 1902, becoming a member of the firm of Knox, Acker, and Blackmon, and in 1908 formed a partnership with his brother, Senator W.B. Merrill, at Heflin. He was a member of the legislature from Cleburne County, 1900-1901; city attorney of Anniston, 1906-1908; appointed March 11, 1911, judge of the Seventh Judicial Circuit, to succeed Judge John Pelham, who was appointed as one of the judges of the Alabama Court of Appeals. He was nominated to succeed himself in the Democratic Primary of April, 1912, and was elected without opposition in the general election of November, 1912, and again in 1918, but resigned, June 1, 1920. In 1923 he was Speaker of the House, and in 1927 was a member of the same body. He was elected Lt.-Governor, 1930. He was a Democrat, a Baptist, a Shriner, an Elk, and a Knight of Pythias.
Married: December 27, 1906, at DeArmanville, Martha, daughter of J.W. and Georgia Chitwood, of that place. Children: 1. Ralph.
Alabama Department of Archives and History, Official and Statistical Register, 1931, 33.
Return to Lieutenant Governors
Return to Constitutional Officers
Return to Alabama Government Officials
Return to Alabama History On-Line