Back to Historical Marker Index
Historical Marker Program
First Baptist Church
First Baptist Church organized the founding year of the Southern Baptist Convention. In 1876 a handsome structure replaced the original unpainted building on the site of the present chapel. In 1902 a brick structure was erected. The church hosted the Alabama Baptist Convention's annual meeting in 1908. An educational wing was added in 1952. After a destructive fire in November, 1977, the present structure was built. Throughout its history the church has devoted its energies to Christ-centered ministries.
[1995: Main Street at Church Street, Roanoke
33.15150 N 85.37311 W
Lebanon Christian Church
Founded March 31, 1864 by evangelist Moses Park. William Terry Kirby, Sr. and Nancy T. Greer Kirby donated four acres of land adjacent to their home for the church site. Services were first conducted at a brush arbor on the property, which later became Lebanon Cemetery. The present building, construction in 1887 has been in continuous use and remains virtually unaltered.
Sarah E. Adcock
Eliza E. Taylor
Sarah E. Taylor
[1996: 2071 County Road 79 at County Road 667 near Roanoke.
33.18967 N 85.35052 W
Created December 18, 1832, from Creek Indian cession and named for U.S. Senator John Randolph of Virginia. Wedowee, the county seat, is named for the chief of a Creek Indian village which once occupied this site. First court was held near Triplett's Ferry on the Tallapoosa River, west of Wedowee.
[US Hwy 431 at AL Hwy 48 on courthouse lawn in Wedowee
33.30937 N 85.48466 W]
Other Randolph County pages:
Updated: September 13, 2012