Back to Historical Marker Index
Historical Marker Program
Formerly Jenkins Springs. A 19th century watering place and mineral springs resort. 1832: Ceded to United States by Creek Indians before being moved to West in 1836. 1841: Bought by William P. Chilton, later Chief Justice of Alabama. 1873: Bought by John T. Morgan, general in C.S.A., long a United States Senator.
[Before 1965: Ala. Hwy 77; missing in 2010]
The area, home of Creek Indians, was held by them until 1832 when they were forced to move west of Mississippi River. Remains of aboriginal life show an earlier people lived here before the Creeks.
[Before 1965: Ala. Hwy 9, west of Lineville; missing in 2010]
Other Clay County pages:
Updated: September 13, 2012