Back to Historical Marker Index
Historical Marker Program
4 miles from marker. This was the northeast corner of the land first ceded by Indians to whites in the Alabama area. By the 1765 treaty, Choctaws gave to England the area from here to the Gulf. This put the British between the Choctaws and Creeks.
[Before 1965: U.S. Hwy 43 near Thomasville]
Isham Kimbell (1797-1881) was the only family member to survive the Kimbell-James Massacre near Fort Sinquefield, during Creek Indian War in 1813. Elected Sheriff of Clarke County and in 1833 Clerk of Circuit Court, serving several terms. He was a successful merchant until his death in 1881. Married Martha T. Carney of Carney's Bluff. Both buried at Pine Crest Cemetery, Jackson.
Built circa 1848 by Isham Kimbell on Lower Commerce Street. Given to city by Woodson family and moved to this site in 1977 by Jackson Historical Committee, successors to Jackson Bi-Centennial Committee, with a grant from the M. W. Smith, Jr., Foundation. Restored with funds from public subscription, local civic organizations, and the City of Jackson.
September 1, 1813. Creek Indian War, 1813-14. Part of War of 1812. British used Pensacola as base to arm and incite Indians against the United States. Prophet Francis led Indians in this raid on Kimbell home. They killed and scalped 12 of 14 (two survivors left for dead); pillaged house, and killed livestock.
[Before 1965: U.S. Hwy 84 west of Whatley]
Other Clarke County pages:
Updated: September 13, 2012