Can You Answer These Questions?
Test your knowledge of Alabama with this trivia quiz.
Visit the Alabama Archives web site at http://www.archives.alabama.gov/
- What is the deepest gorge in the U.S. east of the Rockies?
- Can you name the famous African-American minister who preached at the Dexter Avenue Baptist Church?
- What does the Indian word for Alabama (Alibamu) mean?
- Alabama's first white settlement was started in 1702 by what country?
- What Alabamian, later to become famous, was taught by Anne Sullivan?
- Who wrote the words to Alabama's state song?
- Can you name the Alabamian who had a hit song called Ramblin' Rose?
- What aviation milestone occurred in Alabama in 1910?
- What city is called the Cradle of the Confederacy?
- What Leeds, Alabama, native was a member of the U.S. Olympic Dream Team?
- What is the official state rock?
- Can you name the Alabamian who was vice president of the United States?
- Olympic champion Jesse Owens came from what Alabama town?
- What boxing title did Joe Louis hold?
- What is Alabama's largest mining industry?
- Can you name the Centre, Alabama, man who patented a typewriter in 1866?
- What prominent author from Alabama wrote Fried Green Tomatoes?
- Can you name the Alabamian who sang Stand by Your Man?
- What African-American woman refused to give up her seat and thereby started the Montgomery Bus Boycott?
- The novel To Kill A Mockingbird was written by what Alabamian?
1. Little River Canyon near Fort Payne, Alabama
2. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
3. Thicket Clearers
5. Helen Keller
6. Julia Tutwiler
7. Nat "King" Cole
8. The first night flight
10. Charles Barkley
12. William Rufus King
14. Heavyweight Champion of the World
16. John Pratt
17. Fannie Flagg, formerly of Birmingham
18. Tammy Wynette
19. Rosa Parks
20. Harper Lee
For more information contact the:
Alabama Department of Archives and History
Attention: Curator of Education
P.O. Box 300100
Montgomery, Alabama 36130-0100
Return to Web Activities Main page
Return to Archives Homepage
Updated: September 18, 2008